Get on stage and strut your stuff! Contestants will be evaluated for craftsmanship by our panel of judges. Once you submit your application, you will be sent your scheduled time slot. Please do not be late! If you come after your designated time slot, you may have to go later or forfeit your place entirely. Some slots may open up at-con so feel free to stop by the Cosplay Registration Table to check in and confirm availability. Open slots will be filled at-con first come first serve. Prove you are the ultimate cosplayer against 49 other contestants!
All online applications must be submitted at least one month before the day the convention starts. Otherwise, you must pay at the door. If you are unable to make it, please notify us at least 24-hours before Day 1. The fee to enter is $5.
Best in Show
3 Judges Awards
All categories will receive free admission to next year's convention. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place, as well as best Best in Show, will receive a Prize Box sponsored by Right Stuf. Each judge will be given a trophy to award to their favorite contestant at their own discretion.
Sunday, August 5, 2018
3:00 - 3:15pm - Seating
3:15 - 3:30pm - Opening Speech
3:30 - 4:00pm - 25 Contest Entries
4:00 - 4:15pm - Intermission
4:15 - 4:45pm - 25 Contest Entries
4:45 - 5:00pm - Judges Tally
5:00 - 5:30pm - Award Ceremony
Rules & Guidelines
- All contest participants must be a registered attendee of Animanga 2018. Staff members may not participate.
- No nudity. No costume is no costume. Body-paint costumes are not eligible for craftsmanship.
- You must submit reference pictures for the character you are cosplaying. This can be turned in at the Cosplay Registration Table. You may not be eligible for accuracy points if the judges are not familiar enough with your character to make a determination without a reference picture (they can choose to award you 0 points for accuracy).
- Costumes need to be at least 75% crafted by you. Commissioned costumes are eligible ONLY IF the person who made it is present for judging.
- You will NEED to provide proof of your costume creation process. You must have at least five progress shots printed in color for the judges to review. Please provide copies for each judge. Keep in mind that the judges will not have time to read any text if you choose to make a full portfolio; you can bring fabric samples if you'd like. Not having progress shots will negatively affect your score and can even lead to being disqualified from craftsmanship (this will be left to the judges' discretion).
- All genres of costume are allowed, however original costumes are not allowed. Each costume must have an original source (e.g. movie, tv show, manga, video game, etc.).
- You will have 1 minute on stage to show off your costume. You can take less time if you don't need the full minute, and there's a few seconds leeway if you run over.
- No profanity allowed. That includes messages on signs or clothes. Anyone who violates this may be disqualified from the competition and may be asked to leave the convention area.
- No political or religious statements. Anyone who violates this may be disqualified from the competition.
- No projectiles, flashpots, explosive devices, or similar special effects are to be used. Anyone who violates this rule may be disqualified from the competition and may be asked to leave the convention area.
- Costumes must be self-contained.
- Nothing is to be left on the stage after the performance including, but not limited to, glitter, confetti, and streamers.
- All prop weapons must conform to the Animanga 2018 Weapons Policy, which is as follows: All weapons must be non-working and peace bonded. No functioning projectile weapons – including water pistols, silly-string guns, and ping-pong pistols. No sharp, pointy, or bladed weapons. No clowning around or showing off in the common areas. Any weapon used in an offensive manner will be confiscated. Anyone who violates this rule may be disqualified from the competition and may be asked to leave the convention area. We expect you to use good judgment; with your help, we can continue to allow peace-bonded weapons.
- For safety reasons, the following are not allowed:
- Live animals
- Substances which might damage or soil
- Aerosol sprays
- Projectiles of any kind.
- No pyrotechnics will be allowed including but not limited to: fire, flash powder, explosives, smoke bombs or fireworks.
- Entries that could potentially damage the facilities, other participants or the wearer will not be allowed.
- Illegal weapons of any kind are not allowed.
- Entries with electric power requirements
- Each contestant may only enter one costume into competition.
- Large elaborate costumes must be handled by the contestant and/or assistants the contestant brings to help. No assistants will be provided.
Please remember this is a craftsmanship contest, judges will be looking at your outfit for quality and accuracy.
Cosplay Contest Coordinators have the right to eliminate any entry from the competition on the basis of taste, danger to the audience, building or yourself, violation of any of the above rules, or any other reason deemed sufficient.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there age restrictions?
No. Anyone of any age may enter. However, please note there are no age categories. A 14 year old contestant would compete against a 30 year old contestant.
Does experience matter?
Whether you've won several major awards or you're new to cosplay, you're welcome at Animanga's Cosplay Contest.
Are group entries allowed?
Yes, but you will share a time slot. Should your group win a prize, you will all share it; we will not award each member individually.
ARE Skits allowed?
No. Since your time slot is 1 minute, and you are judged primarily on craftsmanship, skits are not allowed.
Can I dance?
Sure! So long as it fits into the 1 minute time limit. Remember, you're judged on craftsmanship, so dancing might not help your score, but it might get the judges' attention.
Can I act out a fight scene?
Yes, if it fits into the 1 minute time limit. Contestants must move at 3/4 speed for all combat and action sequences. Stunts must be approved by staff. We ask that you do not attempt stage fighting if you have no previous experience with it in order to avoid accidents. Contestants may not jump off stage!
Is there a pre-judging?
Currently, there is no pre-judging planned.
All 50 slots are full. Is there a waitlist?
Yes. Once the 50 slots are filled, we will put up a waitlist. If one of the 50 entries backs out, we will fill that slot with the first person on the waitlist.
Can I use a backdrop image/video?
Likely yes. Details pending.
Can I use my own music?
Yes. Contestants may bring their own music. All audio must be in mp3/mp4 format only on a flash drive (USB). No CDs. Music will be due when you check in at the cosplay registration table. If you do not turn your music in when you check in for the contest at the cosplay registration table, you will be defaulted to using house music. If there is an issue with your music (for example, the file is corrupt), then house music will be used.
Can I borrow a Microphone?
Can you change the lighting to suit my costume?
Unfortunately no. We will not be able to do lighting cues or effects.
I need to change. Are there dressing rooms?
Dressing rooms are backstage. Only participants (and assistants if necessary) will be allowed in the room. Do not leave personal belongings in the room.